One of the best things about fall is changing up your wardrobe, so why not switch up your hairstyles as well? These six trendy ‘dos are perfect for any occasion – and you can create each of them in five simple steps. From beachy low buns to waterfall braids, here are our favorite hair looks we’ll be rocking this season:
Knotty & Nice
1. To prep your locks for this romantic updo, mist your brush with a light layer of hairspray. Then, run it through your hair from mid-strand to end.
2. Mist a bit of hairspray into the air above your head, letting it fall onto your roots instead of applying it directly.
3. Braid the hair on one side of your head down to the nape of your neck, then tug on each side of the braid to loosen the strands.
4. Twist the braid up into a low bun and pin.
5. For long-lasting hold, finish this look with extra strength hairspray.
1. The base of this look is all-over texture, so begin by curling your hair with a 1” flat iron. Be sure to curl in all different directions in order to achieve a perfectly messy ‘do.
2. Grab a thick section of hair on the right side of your head, twisting and pulling it toward your scalp on the other side.
3. Use a bobby pin to hold the strand in place, then mist with texturing spray to secure.
4. Repeat steps two and three on the left, then again from either side, moving lower as you go. If you discover shorter strands won’t make a full loop, pin underneath near the nape of your neck.
5. Wrap the final twist under and back to where you started, forming a loop around your hair (just like a ponytail). Finally, curl a few pieces left out in front and hairspray.
1. Prep your strands for this style by straightening all but your top layer of hair.
2. Grab the bangs on one side of your head, separating the section into three equal parts.
3. Begin a normal French braid, gradually moving toward the back of your head.
4. When you’ve braided your hair just past your ear, begin using the “waterfall” technique. Instead of crossing the top strand over the middle, let it drop so that it falls straight. Pick up a section of hair directly behind the strand, using it in place of the original piece.
5. Repeat step four until you’ve reached the other side. Then, finish the look with a regular braid down the back.
1. On one side of your head, separate the front section of hair into two equal pieces.
2. Pull the right section of hair over the left. Then, add a few strands to the new section on the right. Pull this section over the left again and repeat – this will create a loose, beachy twist.
3. Repeat steps one and two on the other side of your head, twisting your hair in the opposite direction. Tie both braids with clear, elastic rubber bands.
4. Twist both braids together counter-clockwise, creating a crown-like half pony.
5. Secure the style with extra hold hairspray.
1. To achieve the beachy base of this look, use a 1” flat iron to create loose curls.
2. Add volume by misting texture spray onto your roots, then backcombing your strands from the bottom, up.
3. Pull your hair back into a loose ponytail, using a clear elastic to secure the style.
4. Tie your ponytail in a knot, then twist like a cinnamon roll.
5. Use bobby pins to hold the hair in place, creating a messy (but put-together) bun.
1. Begin by parting your hair to one side. Then, grab a 2” section of strands at your hairline and separate into two pieces.
2. Take a small, half inch piece from the right section of hair, pulling underneath and over the left section. Repeat on the left side.
3. Continue twisting down toward the nape of your neck, pulling hair into the braid from the opposite side of your head.
4. Stop braiding hair 3” from the end, securing with a clear elastic ponytail.
5. Loosen the braid by tugging at the sides, starting from the bottom of the style. Mist with hairspray to hold in place.
Now that you’re full of fall hair inspiration, check out three tops to buy now and wear through autumn.