Thanks to their plain walls and unusually cramped quarters, dorms don’t always offer the best living situation. Luckily, there are lots of easy ways to make the space your own – while also incorporating this season’s hottest décor trends. From storage to accents to sets of wall art, we’re sharing our top tips and tricks for decorating your home away from home. Whether you’re moving into your first place or redecorating your current space, read on for three tutorials for DIY home décor.
Painted Storage Jars
Bronze and copper accents are among 2017’s hottest home décor trends, so these metallic mason jars are a dorm room must-have. Add glamour to your desk by using one as a pencil holder, or spice up your bathroom by filling it with hair and makeup brushes. You can even plant a succulent in one of these jars, transforming your summer greenery into a year-round decoration.
- Metallic copper spray paint
- Glass mason jars
- Painter’s tape
- Plastic bags, quart size
- Gather items needed, including copper spray paint, mason jars, tape and plastic bags.
- Place jar inside plastic bag, then tape the edges to the outside rim of the jar.
- Spray the inside of the jar with spray paint, then the rim of the jar if desired. Make sure to let the paint dry for 1-3 hours!
- Once dry, fill with pencils, brushes, succulents, etc.
Washi Tape Accent Wall
Washi tape has been a DIY staple for years, but using it to create accent walls is a brand new application. Made from natural fibers like bamboo, hemp or tree bark, washi is stronger than your average tape. It also comes in endless colors and designs – we chose copper to stay true to our metallic theme.
- Scotch copper washi tape
- Measuring tape
- Gather items needed, including washi tape, scissors and measuring tape.
- Cut washi tape into 3” pieces.
- Stick washi tape to desired wall, arranging pieces randomly to create a confetti-style pattern.
- Repeat across the entire length and height of wall for full effect.
Scrapbook Paper Wall Art
You’ve likely used scrapbook paper in memory books and photo albums, but have you ever thought to use it to decorate your walls? Adding art to your space is easier (and more affordable) than ever – all it takes is a pack of scrapbook paper that matches your room’s color scheme. The best part about this hack? You can swap out the pages whenever you want, keeping your dorm décor fresh all year long.
- 12” x 12” scrapbook paper pack
- 12” x 12” frames
- Gather items needed, including scrapbook paper pack, frames, ruler and scissors.
- Place paper pieces into the frame. Trim edges as needed using the ruler and scissors, then hang on the wall.
- Arrange frames on wall as desired.
Need more dorm room décor inspo? Learn four ways to create a space that reflects your personality here.